onepinoy.com Website Terms of Service
Welcome to onepinoy!
onepinoy is a web and mobile site that focuses on the Filipino-Canadian community in Canada from coast to coast to coast.
Our goal is to connect Filipinos in Canada by using onepinoy as the platform, make our community stronger and promote and grow Filipino businesses within the community.
These Terms govern your use of onepinoy.com, the Chika (chat system),
What’s up, Canada (news), New to Canada, Job Centre, Food Trip, PinoyPreneurs, PinoyMarketplace, Pnation Calendar, DKNY (Dati Ko Na Yan), and Tambayan and other Web/Mobile site, features, services and software we offer (the onepinoy Web/Mobile site) except where we expressly state that separate terms (and not these) apply. These Web/Mobile site are provided to you by onepinoy.com Canada Inc.
We don’t charge you to use onepinoy as a regular member. Instead, only businesses and organizations pay us to show you ads for their Web/Mobile site and services. By using our Web/Mobile site, you agree that we can insert advertising data into the onepinoy website, so long as this does not involve our transmission of any of your personal information in contravention of our Privacy Statement.
We don’t sell your personal data to advertisers, and we don’t share information that directly identifies you (such as your name, email address, or other contact information) with advertisers. Instead the advertisers can tell us things like the kind of audience they want to see their ads, and we show those ads to people who may be interested. We provide advertisers with reports about the performance of their ads that help them understand how people are interacting with their content.
1. The Services we provide
Our mission is to inform, educate, update and push relevant information to the Filipino Canadians and to Filipinos that might want to immigrate to Canada. To help advance this mission, we provide the Web/Mobile site and Services described below to you:
What’s Up, Canada? (Community News) - Read the latest news related to the Filipino-Canadian community not only in your local city but also the other cities in Canada. With this section, you can read the news from coast to coast to coast as it relates to the Filipino Canadian community. What members read in Toronto, the same news will be read by another member in Vancouver, Winnipeg or Halifax to make sure nothing is missed. This section will also feature many interesting news and items that will surely help and inspire other Filipinos.
New to Canada– We help members discover content, Web/Mobile site and services that may help or interest to you as a newcomer to Canada. In addition, we also provide a venue where newcomers can solicit goods from others. Filipino-Canadians that are downsizing can post items for donation on this section. This service is free. No member can post an advertising soliciting business on this section.
Job Centre – As a registered member, you may look for work opportunities under this section. We are providing you a venue where you can enter your resume and start looking for available positions right away that are close to where you live. If you are an employer, you may post available job positions, browse the resumes that meet your criteria and start contacting your future employees right away. Only paid subscribers can post job positions on this section.
Food Trip (Food & Places) - As Filipinos, our universal language is food. We love food and go places. This section is all about the food that you like and places you go to. You may post photos, share, like, love and interact with other members.
PinoyPreneur – Filipino-owned, operated or managed businesses can enlist their business on the directory for a small monthly fee. To our members, before you give your business to someone else, why don’t you browse the directory first and see if there are Filipino Canadians that can help you with your needs. From auto mechanic to yard worker, we are sure you can find a fellow Filipino who is willing to help and service your needs. (commercial advertising terms may apply).
PinoyMarketplace -- As a regular member, you may post items that you want to sell. If you want to buy items, you may message the seller directly using our Chika Chika direct messaging system. If you are a business owner that might want to use this section as a regular venue to promote or sell, see our Commercial Advertising Terms for non-singular item posting.
Pnation Calendar –The Filipino community in Canada as a whole can avoid conflict on booking events on the same day and venue if there is a calendar that they can check. Event organizers from for-profit and non-profit organizations may post directly on this page. Only verified and confirmed events can be entered on the calendar.
Dati Ko Na Yan (DKNY) Sell-Donate-Rent – Non-PinoyPreneur Members can post items that are for sale, for donation or for rent as long as these items are pre-owned by the seller. Items posted that are brand new or any type of services will be deleted from this section by the administrator.
Tambayan - This section is an open forum where members can openly tell their stories or ask questions. Our community guidelines will apply to all users on this section.
- We prohibit bullying/harassment of any kind.
- Hate speech or content that demeans, defames, or promotes discrimination is prohibited.
- We prohibit accounts that distribute pornographic contents.
- We prohibit spreading false information that causes harm or is malicious.
- Manipulation content for false or misleading purposes is prohibited.
- Do not use onepinoy for any illegal activity.
2. How our services are funded.
A. Through advertising.
Instead of paying to use onepinoy and the other Web/Mobile site and services we offer, by using onepinoy Web/Mobile site and Services covered by these Terms, you agree that we can show you ads that businesses and organizations pay us to promote on and off the onepinoy Web/Mobile site. We use information such as your activity and interest, to show you ads that are relevant to you.
Protecting people's privacy is central to how we've designed our ad system. This means that we can show you relevant and useful ads without telling advertisers who you are. We don't sell your personal data. We allow advertisers to tell us things like their business goal, and the kind of audience they want to see their ads (for example, people between the age of 35-59 who regularly sends money back home). We then show their ad to people who might be interested.
We also provide advertisers with reports about the performance of their ads to help them understand how people are interacting with their content on and off onepinoy. For example, we provide general demographic and interest information to advertisers to help them better understand their audience. We don’t share information that directly identifies you (information such as your name or email address that by itself can be used to contact you or identifies who you are) unless you give us specific permission.
B. Through the business directory listing by business owners.
onepinoy is providing a very good space and format to business owners that may or may not have their own website. Furthermore, this section will surely help businesses in our community by appearing on the directory most especially when the members are searching for a certain product or service in a certain area. The fee is very minimal as we want to give everybody a platform where Filipino business owners can be found and promote their Web/Mobile site and services.
C. Through the job listing subscription by employers.
Canada’s number one issue is labor shortage. We want to help by offering companies a venue where they can source out good employees. A subscription fee to access this service is charge to the employers only as we deploy our own resources to help them out address their labor requirements.
3. Your commitments to onepinoy and our community
We provide these services to you and others to help advance our mission. In exchange, we need you to make the following commitments:
1. Who can use onepinoy?
When people stand behind their opinions and actions, our community is safer and more accountable. For this reason, you must:
- Use the same name that you use in everyday life.
- Provide accurate information about yourself.
- Provide accurate location information so that you can meet more local kababayans, thus, develop good business and personal relationship
- Create only one account.
- Not share your password, give access to your account to others or transfer your account to anyone else.
- Ensure that if at anytime you become aware of any violation, by any person or entity, of any part of these Terms and Conditions, you will immediately notify us and provide us with assistance, as requested, to stop or remedy such violation.
We try to make onepinoy broadly available to everyone, but you cannot use onepinoy if:
- You are under 18 years old.
- You are a convicted sex offender.
- We’ve previously disabled your account for violations of our Terms or Policies.
- You are prohibited from receiving our Web/Mobile site, services or software under applicable laws.
2. What you can share and do on onepinoy
We want people to use onepinoy to express themselves and to share content that is important to them, but not at the expense of the safety and well-being of others or the integrity of our community. You therefore agree not to engage in the conduct described below (or facilitate or support others in doing so):
- You may not member our Web/Mobile site to do or share anything:
- That violates these Terms, our Community Standards, and other terms and policies that apply to your use of onepinoy.
- That is unlawful, misleading, discriminatory or fraudulent.
- That infringes or violates someone else’s rights, including their intellectual property rights.
- You may not upload viruses or malicious code or do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working or appearance of our Web/Mobile site.
- You many not access or collect data from our Web/Mobile site using automated means (without our prior permission) or attempt to access data you do not have permission to access.
- You may not directly do or permit any of the following:
- post, upload, reproduce, distribute or otherwise transmit any Content (defined below) that:
- is unauthorized or unsolicited commercial communications, junk or bulk communications or other “spam” (whether or not using e-mail services, including instant messaging, blog or comment spam) or is otherwise duplicative or unsolicited,
- contains a virus, cancelbot, Trojan horse, worm or other harmful, disruptive or surreptitious component,
- is defamatory, infringing or unlawful
- is inappropriate, profane, obscene, indecent, or contains information without suitable or lawfully-required access controls (which controls will in no event be our responsibility).
- gives rise to civil liability, or otherwise violates the rights or assists others to violate the rights of us or any third party, such violations including engaging in copyright infringement, invasion of privacy, trademark infringement or defamation, or
- constitutes a criminal offence, or otherwise engages in our assists others to engage in any criminal offence, including communicating hatred, pyramid selling, unauthorized use of a computer, mischief in relation to data, fraud, obscenity and child pornography.
- engage in threats, harassment, intimidation, stalking or abuse or any conduct that violates the legal rights of others, including the rights of minors and rights relating to privacy and publicity;
- scan or probe another computer system, obstruct or bypass computer identification procedures or engage in unauthorized computer or network trespass without the express permission of the owners of such computer systems;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate any protocols or identifiers used in any system or protocol in such a manner to disguise the origin of any data transmitted using the Website;
- impersonate or falsely represent your association with any person, including a representative of us;
- disrupt or threaten the integrity, operation or security of any onepinoy website, any computer or any internet system;
- disable or circumvent any access control or related process or procedure established with respect to the onepinoy Website;
- sublicense, share, resell, reproduce, copy, distribute, redistribute or exploit for any commercial purposes (except for your internal business purposes), any portion of, use of or access to, any onepinoy Website, except where expressly authorized by us or;
- extract, gather, collect or store personal information about others without their express consent.
We can suspend, restrict or terminate access to content that is in violation of these provisions.
If we remove content that you have shared in violation of our Community Standards, we’ll let you know and explain any options you have to request another review, unless you seriously or repeatedly violate these Terms or if doing so may expose us or others to legal liability; harm our community of members; compromise or interfere with the integrity or operation of any of our services, systems or Web/Mobile site; where we are restricted due to technical limitations; or where we are prohibited from doing so for legal reasons.
We also can remove or restrict access to your content, services or information if we determine that doing so is reasonably necessary to avoid or mitigate adverse legal or regulatory impacts to onepinoy.
3. The Permissions you give us
We need certain permissions from you to provide our services:
- Permission to use content you create and share. Some content that you share or upload, such as photos or videos, may be protected by intellectual property laws.
You own the intellectual property rights (like copyright or trademarks) in any such content that you create and share on onepinoy. Nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you want.
However, to provide our services we need you to give us some legal permissions (known as ‘license’) to use this content. This is solely for the purposes of providing and improving our Web/Mobile site and services as described in section 1 above.
Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Web/Mobile site, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This means, for example, that if you share a photo on onepinoy, you give us permission to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as service providers that support our service or other onepinoy Web/Mobile site you use. This license will end when your content is deleted from our systems.
You can delete content individually or all at once by deleting your account. Learn more about how to delete your account.
When you delete content, it’s no longer visible to other members, however it may continue to exist elsewhere on our systems where:
- Immediate deletion is not possible due to technical limitations (in which case, your content will be deleted with a maximum of 90 days from when you delete it);
- Your content has been used by others in accordance with this license and they have not deleted it (in which case this license will continue to apply until that content is deleted); or
- Where immediate deletion would restrict our ability to:
- Investigate or identify illegal activity or violations of our terms and policies (for example, to identify or investigate misuse of our Web/Mobile site or systems);
- Comply with a legal obligation, such as the preservation of evidence; or
- Comply with a request of a judicial or administrative authority, law enforcement or a government agency;
In which case, the content will be retained for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it has been retained (the exact duration will vary on a case-by-case basis).
In each of the above cases, this license will continue until the content has been fully deleted.
- Permission to use your name, profile picture, and information about your actions with ads and sponsored content: You give us permission to use your name and profile picture and information about actions you have taken on onepinoy next to or in connection with ads, offers, events, and other sponsored content that we display across our Web/Mobile site, without any compensation to you. For example, we may show your friends that you are in interested in an advertised event (like a community concert).
4. Limits on using our intellectual property.
If you use content covered by intellectual property rights that we have and make available in our Web/Mobile site (for example, images, designs, videos, or sounds we provide that you add to content you create or share on onepinoy), we retain all rights to that content (but not yours). You can only use our copyrights or trademarks (or any similar marks) as expressly permitted by our company with our prior written permission. You must obtain our written permission (or permission under an open source license) to modify, create derivative works of, decompile, or otherwise attempt to extract source code from us.
4. Additional provisions
- Updating our Terms
We work constantly to improve our services and develop new features to make our Web/Mobile site better for you and our community. As a result, we may need to update these Terms from time to time to accurately reflect our services and practices. We will only make any changes if the provisions are no longer appropriate or if they are incomplete, and only if the changes are reasonable and take due account of your interests.
We will notify you (for example, by email or through our Web/Mobile site) at least 30 days before we make changes to these Terms and give you an opportunity to review them before they go into effect, unless changes are required by law.
Once any updated Terms are in effect, you will be bound by them if you continue to use our Web/Mobile site.
We hope that you will continue using our Web/Mobile site, but if you do not agree to our updated Terms and no longer want to be a part of the onepinoy community, you can delete your account at any time.
- Account suspension or termination
We want onepinoy to be a place where people feel welcome and safe to express themselves and share their thoughts and ideas.
If we determine that you have clearly, seriously or repeatedly breached our Terms or Policies, including in particular our Community Standards, we may suspend or permanently disable access to your account. We may also suspend or disable your account if you repeatedly infringe other people’s intellectual property rights or where we are required to do so for legal reasons.
Where we take such action we’ll let you know and explain any options you have to request a review, unless doing so may expose us or others to legal liability; harm our community of members; compromise or interfere with the integrity or operation of any of our services, systems or Web/Mobile site; or where we are restricted due to technical limitations; or where we are prohibited from doing so for legal reasons.
You can learn more about what you can do if your account has been disabled and how to contact us if you think we have disabled your account by mistake.
If you delete or we disable your account, these Terms shall terminate as an agreement between you and us, but the following provisions will remain in place: 3, 4.2-4.5.
- Limits on liability
We work hard to provide the best Web/Mobile site we can and to specify clear guidelines for everyone who uses them. Our Web/Mobile site, however, are provided "as is," and we make no guarantees that they always will be safe, secure, or error-free, or that they will function without disruptions, delays, or imperfections.
To the extent permitted by law, we also DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. We do not control or direct what people and others do or say, and we are not responsible for their actions or conduct (whether online or offline) or any content they share (including offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful, and other objectionable content).
We cannot predict when issues might arise with our Web/Mobile site. Accordingly, our liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, and under no circumstance will we be liable to you for any lost profits, revenues, information, or data, or consequential, special, indirect, exemplary, punitive, or incidental damages arising out of or related to these Terms or the onepinoy Web/Mobile site, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
We try to provide clear rules so that we can limit or hopefully avoid disputes between you and us. If a dispute does arise, however, it's useful to know up front where it can be resolved and what laws will apply.
If you are a consumer, the laws of the country in which you reside will apply to any claim, cause of action, or dispute you have against us that arises out of or relates to these Terms or the Facebook Web/Mobile site, and you may resolve your claim in any competent court in that country that has jurisdiction over the claim. In all other cases, you agree that the claim must be resolved exclusively in the Ontario, Canada. You also agree that you submit to the personal jurisdiction of either of these courts for the purpose of litigating any such claim, and that the laws of the Province of Ontario will govern these Terms and any claim, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
- These Terms make up the entire agreement between you and onepinoy.com Canada, Inc. regarding your use of our Web/Mobile site.
- Some of the Web/Mobile site we offer are also governed by supplemental terms. If you use any of those Web/Mobile site, supplemental terms will be made available and will become part of our agreement with you. For instance, if you access or use our Web/Mobile site for commercial or business purposes, such as buying ads, selling Web/Mobile site, posting jobs, you must agree to our Terms. If you post or share content containing music, you must comply with our Music Guidelines. To the extent any supplemental terms conflict with these Terms, the supplemental terms shall govern to the extent of the conflict.
- If any portion of these Terms is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect. If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us.
- You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these Terms to anyone else without our consent.
- You may designate a person (called a legacy contact) to manage your account if it is memorialized. Only your legacy contact or a person who you have identified in a valid will or similar document expressing clear consent to disclose your content upon death or incapacity will be able to seek disclosure from your account after it is memorialized.
- These Terms do not confer any third-party beneficiary rights. All of our rights and obligations under these Terms are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, or by operation of law or otherwise.
- You should know that we may need to change the member name for your account in certain circumstances (for example, if someone else claims the member name and it appears unrelated to the name you use in everyday life). We will inform you in advance if we have to do this and explain why.
- We always appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about our Web/Mobile site and services. But you should know that we may use them without any restriction or obligation to compensate you, and we are under no obligation to keep them confidential.
- We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you.